Great for a well-balanced lunch or a light dinner.
I thought I’d take a few minutes to write about Coca-Cola Chicken Wings – Gringo Taxi Style, a dish while not Peruvian, it is widely enjoyed here. Everyone knows about and loves Peruvian Pollo a la Brasa, ceviche, lomo saltado, causa rellana, aji de gallina, and many more. Less known, but very popular is Coca-Cola Chicken Wings.
We at Gringo Taxis love this recipe!
It’s a very affordable, easy to prepare, delicious dish. We at Gringo Taxis love this recipe! When we aren’t busy getting our clients to the Lima Airport or your Lima Hotel, we love to spend time in the kitchen cooking for our families.
The reason it is so delicious has a lot to do with science. Wings have a lot of collagen. Collagen has a natural affinity for sugar. Coca-Cola has a decent amount of sugar and provides a unique flavor profile.
Preparation includes cutting the wings into 3 sections and discarding the tips. For best flavor, allow the wings a few hours to marinade. 30-60 minutes is fine, but longer is better. Also, don’t reduce the heat during the reduction. You want to reduce the 400ml of Coke to about 50ml and a very dark and super sticky consistency.
Enjoy! And remember, for all your safe and reliable transportation needs, Gingo Taxis is always here for you check us out! Gringo Taxis
The recipe – Peruvian style Chinese Coca-Cola Chicken
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes.
500g wings. Cut in sections.
400ml Coca Cola. Do not use diet or anything but regular Coca-Cola. A 12 ounce can (355ml) is fine.
2 + 1 tsp. Sesame oil.
3 Tb. Soy Sauce (light or dark).
2 cloves garlic. Minced. I prefer to use the Peruvian brand of prepared garlic called Piki. Here’s a link: https://www.wong.pe/ajos-molido-piki-doy-pack-350-g-199514001/p
1 tsp Fresh ginger. Minced.
1/2-1 tsp ground black pepper.
2 Tb. Cebolla China/Green Onions for garnish.
- Marínate the wings with 1 Tb soy sauce and 2 tsp sesame oil for an hour or so in a large glass bowl.
- Heat 1 tsp sesame oil until smoking in a wok or large saucepan.
- Add garlic and ginger. Stir quickly for about 30-60 seconds.
- Add wings. Brown them 2-3 minutes per side or nice brown color.
- Add remaining marinade, soy sauce, black pepper, and Coca Cola.
- Continue simmering over high heat until reduced to a thick sticky sauce as in the picture. (About 20 minutes).
- Garnish with green onions and serve with rice.